Sovereign Hill & Ballarat
Sovereign Hill is an award-winning open-air museum, located in the Golden Point suburb in Ballarat, approx.150 km northwest of Melbourne. Sovereign Hill showcases Ballarat’s first ten years after the discovery of gold in 1851 when thousands of foreign adventurers rushed to the Australian goldfields in search of fortune. It is linked to the richest alluvial gold rush in the world and it’s also here that the second largest gold nugget in the world (Welcome Nugget) was unearthed. Sovereign Hill recreates the old lively gold mining town where costumed ladies and gents stroll the streets, complemented by buildings and stores which re-establish the gold rush era. you can pan for real gold at the creek and you get to keep what you find.
- Lake Wendouree - lovely lake that has a nice walking/bike trail around it, spend some relaxing time with the family, there is also a botanic garden next to it and a huge playground for kids.
- Art Gallery of Ballarat - a regional art gallery that exhibits not only art works but also history about Ballarat and Australia.
- Australian Ex-Prisoner of War Memorial - This memorial symbolises all the Australian prisoners of war who served away from Australia, a moment for history lovers.
- Ballarat Town Centre — one of the main cities during the old mining boom in Victoria, it has well maintained most of the heritage buildings from more than a century ago.
- Sovereign Hill + Gold Museum - explore the old 1850 gold mining town and learn the rich history it has recorded. See Sovereign Hill map
Departs at 9 AM and returns at 7 PM
Mercedes (Up to 7 Passengers): AUD $649
Mercedes (8 - 11 Passengers): AUD $869
Sovereign Hill VIP Pass includes Admission to Sovereign Hill and the Gold Museum, Unlimited coach rides, Labyrinth of Gold Mine Tour, 1 x free return pass for day entry only (valid for 12 months from the date of original visit; not transferable), touch of Gold Experience, Express Costumed Photograph and Devonshire Tea. Priced at $99 per adult / $45 per child. More Information
Friendly Reminder Before Your Trip
- Ballan Farmers & Makers Market is open from 9 am to 1 pm on every 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month, it's right next to Lake Wendouree. It showcases local artists and fresh local produce.
- You can choose to stay overnight at the Sovereign Hill hotel and get a lift back to Melbourne the next day (fees apply), alternatively you can catch a train back to Melbourne.
- Camera to capture pictures.
- Warm jumper as Ballarat area gets chilly after dusk.
- Transportation cost
- Travel Guide Fee
- Free bottled water
- Hotel pick-up / drop-off
- Sovereign Hill admission ticket (Adult:$54 / Children (5-15):$24.50). For more information on ticket types and prices, please click here. We can book your tickets in advance free of charge.
- Meal and drink costs
- Any optional activity costs